MFA Augusto Santos Silva at the opening of the 2018 Diplomatic Seminar (3 January)
The Portuguese Minister of Foreign Affairs, Augusto Santos Silva, made an intervention in the opening session of the 2018 Diplomatic Seminar during which he presented six key features of the Portuguese foreign policy:
- Active participation in the European project;
- The transatlantic ties and the importance of the Atlantic dimension;
- The commitment to the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP) and the significance of the dialogue between Europe, Africa and the Americas;
- The key role played by the Portuguese communities, taking advantage of its diversity and integration into the host societies and their deep ties with Portugal;
- Promoting the internationalization of the Portuguese economy and society;
- Defending multilateralism and a commitment to the multilateral agendas in the context of a diplomacy for peace and human rights, as well as the development and climate change agendas.
Diplomatic Seminar 2018
The diplomatic seminar is an annual initiative of the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs that brings together members of Government - including all the Secretaries of State of the MFA, that participate in meetings and discussion panels - representatives of the Public Administration, universities, the business community, AICEP and other strategic sectors with the Portuguese Ambassadors to discuss key topics of Portuguese Foreign Policy. This year the invited speakers were the French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, the former Italian Prime-Minister and current dean of the Paris School of International Affairs, Enrico Letta, as well as the Portuguese Minister of Planning and Infrastructures, Pedro Marques.